I’m a Californian. Nature and nurture dictate that I love Mexican food.
And I love Enchiladas! But I don’t eat tortillas so we’ve got a problem. Or maybe we don’t. Enter collard greens. These giant leafs are a favorite of mine . I always keep a bunch of them in my fridge. I mostly use them as wraps. But Erin’s sister, Rocket, made Collard Wrapped Enchiladas last week and they were sooooo good. She doesn’t really do recipes. So I recreated them using my own recipe. These are not Paleo. More Paleoish. They have beans and use premade enchilada sauce. But they are Muy delicioso!
1 Bunch of Whole Leaf Collard Greens
1 Jar of Enchilada Sauce ( I like Trader Joes)
I Can of Black Beans
1 Pound Spicy Italian Sausage (casings removed)
Diced Onions, Celery, and Carrots
*I threw in some diced bell peppers because I had them in the fridge.
*Also, you could use any ground meat you want. You will need to season it thought. Some cumin would be lovely.
1. Steam collards for 7-8 minutes. I used a large stock pot with a vegetable steamer. Set Aside.
2. Brown meat in pan. Seat aside.
3. Saute onions, celery and carrots.
4. Drain beans and add to vegetables. Warm in pan.
5. Combine vegetables, beans and meat.
6. Pour some of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of a baking dish.
7. Begin rolling up meat and vegetable mixture inside of collard greens. Then place in baking dish. Pro tip: Wrap them up tiny and tight. Otherwise they are very hard to cut through.
8. Pour enchilada sauce over the wraps.
9. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.
10. Serve with guacamole.